Sunday 21 November 2010

A cracking demo night

On the 20th of November i was teaching a day workshop for a group in Somerset. As i often do i followed this with one of the cabaret evenings where i show some of the training behind the dogs and some short routines. Sometimes these nights go really well with the dogs working at their best and often playing a little bit to the crowd. This was one of those nights and i was so pleased with how the dogs worked. I started with little Betty who has over the last couple of months had a few attentions issues but i have been working hard on this. I was very happy with her and even choose to do something i had never done with her attention training before. Basically i put a load of toys onto the floor and then got her to watch me as we negotiated through all the toys. I was so pleased with her as you could see she wanted to go and see what they were but paid 100 % attention as i moved her around them. She also later in the evening performed her new supersonic vaulting jump move which even makes me smile when she does it.
Next was Whizzy and as she has a show soon i concentrated on keeping her under control but also doing the moves cleanly. As usual she was full of life and showed the audience her bubbly personality. Disco came out to do her pieces and then it was the turn of Pogo who can be a bit lacklustre for me on some demo nights as she knows i have not got my full attention on her as i am talking to the audience. Well this night she was very up for it and full on so i really had to keep control. I used this night to preview some of the sequences of her new freestyle routine with some of the props i will be using. Most of the sequences went well but a couple still need some more sharpening but we have plenty of time left. I often worry if it is going really well at this stage as we might of peaked too early and then it goes downhill nearer the event.
Only a few more events to do before the Christmas break one of which is my annual trip to Cara dog training club to teach a workshop which is always a great way to finish my teaching year.

No comments:

Post a Comment